September 06, 2009

Oboe da Caccia

As I get older I learn about things that I thought I should have when I was younger. In high school I played Oboe. I knew of the English Horn, and a B-flat version, but never heard of the Oboe da Caccia. I just learned of this instrument watching a YouTube upload of Bach's St.Matthews Passion. It looks as if someone is playing a goose. The two instruments come in about three minutes into the video with the soloist.

Here is the
Koopman - Amsterdam Baroque Orchestra and Soloists playing:



2 comments:

D W JazzLover said...

Hi you have just given me my next blog! I love the Symphony and must tell the story of how I discovered it.
But I cannot belive I did not know what an Oboe was until now...Thanks for the post and this is a beautiful piece of music poster here.

Hathor said...

Since I posted this, now the music is staying in my head.

I am constantly amazed at the things I think I should have known.