October 22, 2006

The Revolution Was Televised!

I came across this article of the revolt in Hungary in 1956. It reminded me that tomorrow is the fiftieth anniversary of that event which lasted from October 23 to November 10, 1956.

1956 - Hungarian Revolution


You can see a narrated version of this, other videos and photos at Hungary 1956.

East - '56


I was crestfallen as a child, my vision of America changed after this event. Heard much talk of Radio Free Europe and the encouragement we were giving the new Soviet satellites to seek freedom. Communist were the scourge of the earth, and yet we let the Hungarians fight alone. My most vivid memory, watching the news and seeing the Russian tanks roll through the streets. I could not understand why America was not helping.

Later we fought this fight in some distant rainforest.

No comments: