September 10, 2006

Computer as Toaster

I like technology. I like most gadgets and tools. I like things that work. I like software that does what it is supposed to do. I like computers that don’t crash.

I am not a geek. I do not have to know something about everything and all the jargon or every piece of technology since the nineteenth century. I am a technical person, who uses tools and knows a fair amount about what I do. I do not expect everyone to know what I know and I do not feel they are idiots if they don’t.

What is it about people who work in the computer industry, that think everyone should know what they know? Do they know that some people want to look at computer use as easily as putting bread in a toaster? I do. I do not want to know every acronym, so that I may find software the fits my needs, or do I want to have to learn programming, so that I can do simple things on my blog. I don’t want to have to join user groups, support groups or join group therapy to be able to use computer technology. Oh! One other thing, I don’t want to be thought of as an idiot because I don’t want to do any of these things.

No comments: